SMALLER, SILENT KIT LENS
The E-PL2 comes with the new Movie & Still Compatible (MSC) ED m14-42mm f3.5/5.6 zoom lens. This new kit lens has a smooth, silent and quick inner focus mechanism to make it exceptionally fast and nearly silent when recording high-definition movie.
NEW LIVE GUIDE FOR STILLS AND MOVIES
The PEN E-PL2's Live Guide system takes the guesswork out of great photography and videography by allowing you to preview effects at the touch of a button. Want more vivid or muted color in your shot? Want warmer or cooler color? Want a brighter or darker subject, or a sharper or softer background? Simply select Live Guide and turn the wheel on the back of the camera to slide through numerous photographic and videographic effects. Make adjustments and watch the LCD as the effects are made live before the image is captured!
FACE DETECTION WITH EYE DETECT AF
Nail the focus every portrait photo, every time. The new face detection AF employs an Eye Detect AF that adjusts focus automatically on the subject's eyes during portrait shooting.
3-INCH HIGH-RESOLUTION LCD
The E-PL2 provides an overall excellent user experience with a large, easy-to-view 3.0-inch 460,000-dot high-resolution LCD monitor and a control dial.
EXPAND YOUR CREATIVE HORIZONS WITH BUILT-IN EFFECTS
Olympus appreciates that you may not have hours to spend retouching your images on the computer. The E-PL2 has improved Art Filters with selectable new Art Filter variations that allow users to customize each filter with different moods and effects and an Art Effect function to add various composition effects to the picture. Six Art Filters are incorporated including the new Dramatic Tone filter. With the E-PL2's Multiple Exposure you can shoot one shot, then another and combine them in real time, or capture both shots separately and combine them within the camera later. Choose from one of six background music tracks when playing an in-camera slideshow.
BIG SENSOR, NOT A BIG BODY
At the heart of the E-PL2 is a large-size image sensor that's the same sensor as the one inside the Olympus E-30 and E-620 Digital SLR models. The only difference between this sensor and what the pros use is that this big sensor is inside the much smaller body of the E-PL2. This high-performance 12.3-megapixel Live MOS image sensor (8 times larger than the average point-and-shoot camera sensor) delivers excellent dynamic range, accurate color fidelity, and state-of-the-art technology to reduce noise and capture fine image details in both highlight and shadow areas.
HD MOVIES MADE EASY
Recording HD movies with the E-PL2 is simple thanks to an easy-to-reach one-touch record button on the back of the camera body. If you're about to snap a photo and you realize a video would capture the spirit of the scene even better, simply press the record button and instantly you're capturing videos! Easily toggle back and forth between capturing stills and video by using your index finger to press the shutter button or your thumb to press the red record button. Having the ability to shoot still images and videos opens up a world of imaging possibilities.
Olympus E-PL2 PEN Camera Features
- IN-BODY IMAGE STABILIZATION
Say goodbye to blurry images. In both still and movie modes - the E-PL2 Image Stabilization excels. The E-PL2's three-mode In-body Image Stabilization system compensates for up to three shutter speed steps in the still shooting modes with any of its interchangeable lenses: Mode 1 for general shooting, Mode 2 for creative high-speed horizontal capture, and Mode 3 for high-speed vertical capture. The camera's Mechanical Image Stabilization automatically compensates for camera shake in low-light situations or when using a telephoto lens. In the Movie Modes the advanced Electronic Image Stabilization tracts the images both vertically and horizontally to achieve clear sharp movies, matching the performance of the in body IS.
BUILT-IN POP-UP FLASH
Illuminate low-light subjects, reduce red eye, and fill in dark areas. Set the built-in pop-up flash to auto or control the amount of light the flash emits.
The E-PL2's powerful 12.3 megapixel Live-MOS sensor packs a powerful high-quality imaging punch for such a compact camera, allowing you to capture more detail than ever before. The Live MOS image sensor delivers excellent dynamic range, accurate color fidelity and fine image details in both highlight and shadow areas.
TRUEPIC V IMAGE PROCESSOR
In addition to more detail, the image sensor, combined with the next-generation TruePic V Image Processor, delivers excellent dynamic range, accurate color fidelity and reduced noise, all the way up to 3200 ISO.
DUST REDUCTION SYSTEM
A Dust Reduction System assures spot-free images. Every time you turn on the camera, the patented Supersonic Wave Filter silently vibrates, flinging and collecting dust so that it cannot interfere with the picture imaging at any time.
HD MOVIE WITH MANUAL CONTROL, ART FILTER MOVIE, AND NEW DIRECT MOVIE BUTTON
Shoot movies at 30 frames per second, with high-quality sound, in 720p with available manual control over aperture and shutter speed. This new level of control allows you to express your vision exactly how you want in your HD videos. A Direct HD Movie Button switches you from still to movie mode with the press of a button. You can also capture HD video (720p) using one of the six Art Filters for more creative shooting options.
The E-PL2 includes a port (AP2) for new accessories including the MAL-1 accessory light, the PENPAL Bluetooth® accessory which makes it easier than ever to share your images as well as the VF-2 viewfinder, a detachable electronic viewfinder. The external accessory port also allows for connection with the new EMA-1 external microphone adapter for enhanced audio capture.
This Bluetooth accessory plugs into the camera's accessory port to easily save albums, send pictures from your PEN to a smart phone or another PEN. This makes it easier than ever to share images to sites like Twitter, Facebook and Flickr. When the information is sent, it includes shooting location to make geo-tagging easier than ever before.
NEW EASY-TO USE-LIVE GUIDE CONTROL
Seeing the results before you shoot can change the way you take a picture. Want more vivid or muted color in your shot? Want warmer or cooler hues? Want a brighter or darker subject, or a sharper or softer background? Or maybe you want to capture the fast-moving action of your subject with a little artistic blur, or perhaps freeze the action? Simply set the camera to iAuto, press OK to engage Live Guide, then press the up and down arrows on the back of the E-PL2 to easily slide through numerous photographic effects. Make adjustments and watch the LCD as the effects are made live -- before the image is captured! Live Guide also features a Tips section on how to compose a shot or shoot kids, pets, flowers and more.
22 SCENE-SELECT MODES
From portraits to sunset shots, the E-PL2 is equipped with 22 Scene-Select modes for effortless picture taking, including Fireworks, Sunset, Children, Macro and Panorama, to name a few. Capturing beautiful portraits is easy with the ePortrait Mode that enables you to smooth your subject's complexion. There are even three scene modes that are specific to shooting with the new conversion lenses to optimize the performance of those lenses.
IAUTO WITH IENHANCE
iAuto automatically identifies the scene you're shooting portrait, landscape, night portrait, macro, or sport and adjusts the settings to optimize results. iEnhance can be used in any mode, and automatically engages when using iAuto to enrich color in any subject, just as the human eye sees it.
MICRO FOUR THIRDS MOUNT
The Micro Four Thirds Mount on the E-PL2 provides many key benefits, including the effectiveness of a digitally designed image sensor, an ultra-compact design, and expandability and compatibility with all Micro Four Thirds Lenses and Four Thirds System Lens via the MMF-2 Adapter.
AUTOFOCUS LIVE VIEW WITH AUTOFOCUS TRACKING
Keep fast-moving and unpredictable subjects in focus. AF Live View displays subjects, in focus, on the LCD the instant the shutter is pressed half way. AF Tracking locks your subject into focus and adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject is moving.
The E-PL2 is capable of recording video to SDHC and SDXC media cards to accommodate large files. (SDHC Class 6 cards are recommended.) Videos, stills and high-fidelity audio can also be output via HDMI cable direct to any HD television.
Olympus has five new accessories to help you further expand what you can do with PEN cameras. Three new affordable and compact conversion lenses Fisheye, Wide Angle and Macro help you create fun and interesting photos with ease. The MAL-1 macro arm light helps you illuminate your subject during macro shooting or high-definition movie shooting. And the PENPAL Bluetooth accessory makes it easier than ever to share your images.
- Product type Interchangeable Lens Type Live View Digital Camer
- Memory SD Memory Card(SDHC, SDXCcompatible) Class 6 is recommended for Movie shooting
- Screen size 17.3 mm (H) x 13.0 mm (V)
- Lens mount Micro Four Thirds Mount
- Effective Pixels number 12.3 million pixels
- Product type High speed Live MOS Sensor
- Total no. of pixels Approx. 13.1 million pixels
- Aspect ratio 1.33 (4:3)
- Filter array Primary color filter (RGB)
- Dust reduction Supersonic Wave Filter (dust reduction system for image sensor)
- Recording format DCF, DPOF compatible/Exif, PRINT Image Matching III
- File format RAW (12-bit lossless compression), JPEG, RAW+JPEG
- Recording image size [RAW] 4032 x 3024 pixels [JPEG] 4032 x 3024 pixels - 640 x 480 pixels
- File Size RAW: 4032(H)x3042(V) (approx. 1/1.5 lossless compressed) Approx. 13.9MB
Set 1(LF): 4032(H)x3042(V) (1/4 compressed) Approx. 5.9MB
Set 2(LN): 4032(H)x3042(V) (1/8 compressed) Approx. 2.7MB
Set 3(MN): 2560(H)x1920(V) (1/8 compressed) Approx. 1.1MB
Set 4(SN): 1024(H)x768(V) (1/8 compressed) Approx. 0.3MB
- Recording format AVI Motion JPEG(30fps, Some Art Filters are exceptional)
- Movie Mode HD: 1280(H)x720(V) Aspect 16:9
- SD: 640(H)x480(V) Aspect 4:3(VGA)
- Compression Ratio 1/12(HD), 1/8(SD)
- File Size Max 2GB(limited by AVI format)
- Maximum Recording Time HD: 7min, SD: 14min (Some Art Filters are exceptional)
- Recording format Wave Format Base
- Stereo PCM/16bit, 44.1kHz
- Maximum Recording Time Picture with Sound: 30sec
- Movie: depend on Movie Recording Time
- Mic/Speaker Mono/Mono (Stereo recording is available by using SEMA-1)
- Type Image Sensor(High Speed Live MOS) type
- Field of view 100%
- Display Mode Normal Mode
- Grid Line (4types)
- Histogram Mode
- Magnified View Mode
- Comparable View Mode
- OFF Mode
- Magnification Ratio x7, x10, x14
- Monitor information Aperture value, Shutter speed, Auto Bracket, AE Lock, AF mode, IS, Shooting Mode, Battery Check, My Mode, Internal Temperature Warning, Face / Eye Detection, Histogram, Number of storable still pictures, Record mode, ISO, Sequential shooting, Self-timer, White Balance, Metering Mode, AF confirmation mark, Exposure Compensation Value, Spot metering Area Flash Mode, Flash Status, Flash intensity Control, Super FP
- Display of Face Detection Max 8 frames of face detection can be displayed
- AF High speed imager AF
- System Built in (Imager shift image stabilizer)
- Mode 3 modes (IS1:2 dimensional activation, IS2:1 dimensional activation in landscape frame to vertical direction moving, IS3:1dimensional activation in portrait frame to vertical direction moving ), OFF
- Manual Function input focal length 8, 10, 12, 16, 18, 24, 28, 30, 35, 40, 48, 50, 55, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 100, 105, 120, 135, 150, 180, 200, 210, 250, 300, 350, 400, 500, 600, 800, 1000
- Effective compensation range Approx.3EV steps (in maximum effect with 50mm lens)
- Shutter speed range 2 - 1/4000 sec. (Not available when Bulb is selected)
- IS for Movie Shifting electronic image (so called Digital IS, IS1 mode only)
- Product type HyperCrystal LCD AR(Anti-Reflective) coating
- Size 3.0 inches 3:2
- Total no. of pixels Approx. 460,000 dots
- Playback field of view 100%
- Brightness control +7 levels and -7 levels
- Color balance +7 levels and -7 levels
- AF system Imager Contrast Detection AF system
- When non High-speed imager AF compatible lens is used, it works as AF assist.
- Focus mode Single AF (S-AF) / Continuous AF (C-AF) / Manual Focus (MF) / S-AF + MF / AF tracking (C-AF + TR)
- C-AF and AF tracking are not available with non-mFTs lenses.
- Focusing point 11-area multiple AF with the contrast detection system (Auto, selectable in option)
- Focusing point selection Auto from all 11 area, Single area from 11 area
- Auto from almost all area when Face detection is ON
- Free selection (from 225points) when Magnified View Mode is selected
- AF illuminator: Not Available
- AF lock Locked at first position of Shutter button in Single AF mode
- Focus tracking Available
- Magnified Spot AF Available
- Face priority AF/Eye Detect AF Available
- Manual Focus Assist When rotation of focus ring is detected under S-AF+MF or MF mode, LV is magnified automatically
- Metering system TTL Image Sensor metering system , (1) Digital ESP metering (324-area multi pattern metering), (2) Center weighted average metering , (3) Spot metering (approx. 1% for the viewfinder screen. Highlight / shadow bases are available)
- Metering range EV 0 - 20 (Digital ESP metering, Centre weighted average metering, Spot metering) (At normal temperature, 17mm f2.8, ISO 100)
- Exposure mode (1) i Auto (2) P: Program AE (Program shift can be performed) (3) A: Aperture priority AE (4) S: Shutter priority AE (5) M: Manual (6) Scene select AE (7) Art Filter
- Scene select AE Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Landscape + Portrait, Macro, Sport, Night Scene, Night + Portrait, Children, High Key,
- Low Key, DIS mode, Nature Macro, Candle, Sunset, Document, Panorama, Fireworks, Beach & Snow,
- Fisheye Conv, Wide Conv, Macro Conv
- ISO sensitivity AUTO: ISO 200 - 6400(customizable, Default 200-1600) / Manual ISO 200 - 6400, 1/3 or 1 EV steps,
- Exposure compensation ±3 EV in 1/3, 1/2, 1 EV steps selectable
- AE lock Available (Using Fn button is available)
- Exposure bracketing 2, 3, 5frames in 0.3, 0.7, 1EV steps selectable, 7frames in 0.3, 0.5, 0.7EV steps selectable
- Metering standard value adjustment 1/6 EV step, +/- 1EV range
- Exposure mode (1)P: Program AE (2) A: Aperture priority AE (3)M:Manual (4) Art Filter
- Auto WB system High speed Live MOS sensor
- Preset white balance 8 settings (3000K - 7500K) Lamp (3000K), Fluorescent 1 (4000K), Fluorescent 2 (4500K), Fluorescent 3 (6600K), Daylight (5300K), Flash (5500K), Cloudy (6000K), Shade (7500K)
- White balance compensation ±7 steps in each A-B/G-M axis (in Auto WB / Preset WB mode / One touch WB)
- CWB (Kelvin setting) 1 setting can be registered at Kelvin temperature (2000K - 14000K)
- One-touch white balance 1 custom setting can be registered
- White balance bracketing 3 frames in 2, 4, 6 steps selectable in each A-B/G-M axis.
- Color space sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Mode i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Portrait, Muted, Monotone
- Adjustment parameter Contrast, Sharpness and Saturation level available in 5 steps for i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Portrait and Muted
- Contrast and Sharpness level available in 5 steps for Monotone.
- 3 effect levels are available in i-Enhance
- Filter effect Yellow, Orange, Red or Green filter available for Monotone
- Picture tone Sepia, Blue, Purple or Green tone available for Monotone
- Gradation 4 levels (Auto, High key, Normal, Low key)
- At High ISO setting OFF, LOW, STANDARD, HIGH
- At Slow shutter speed OFF, ON, AUTO
- ON (effective when shutter speed is slower than 1sec)
- AUTO (effective when shutter speed is slower than 4sec(at ISO 200 or higher) or 8sec(at lower than ISO200)
- Product type Computerized focal-plane shutter
- Shutter speed 60 - 1/4000 sec.
- Bulb: up to 30 min. (selectable longest time in the menu. Default: 8 min)
- 1/3, 1/2, or 1EV steps selectable.
- Self-timer Operation time: 12 sec., 2 sec. (cancel available)
- Remote cable release Available (Optional RM-UC1)
- Wireless remote control Not Available
- Drive mode Single-frame shooting, Sequential shooting, Self-timer
- Sequential shooting speed Approx. 3 frames/sec. in sequential shooting
- Max. recordable pictures RAW mode: Max. 10 frames. on sequential shooting JPEG mode: Depends on compression ratio and no. of pixels (Large normal mode: approx. 17 with Toshiba Super High Speed type "Class 6" 4GB)
- Built-in flash Available
- G.No 10(Fno/m) at ISO200, 7(Fno/m) at ISO100 but ISO100 is not available
- Mode TTL-Auto, Manual(Full, 1/4, 1/16, 1/64)
- Color Temperature 5500±400°K
- Wireless Flash Control Available(4ch, 3Groups)
- Compatible external flash E-system Flash(FL-50R, FL-36R, FL-50, FL-36, FL-20, FL-14)
- External Flash control mode TTL Auto, Auto, Manual, FP-TTL-AUTO, FP-MANUAL
- Flash mode of External Flash Auto, Red-eye reduction, Red-eye reduction slow sync., Slow sync at 1st curtain, Slow sync at 2nd curtain, Fill-in, Off.
- Synchronization speed 1/30-1/180
- Super FP 1/125-1/4000 with External Flash
- Flash intensity control Up to ±3 EV in 0.3, 0.5, 1 EV steps
- Mode Pop Art, Soft Focus, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Dramatic Tone
- Number of picture 2 frames
- Functions Auto gain, Live View, Exposing on Recorded picture
- Aspect Ratio 4:3(Default)/3:2/16:9/6:6
- Process RAW: Aspect ratio is recorded as Exif data, JPEG: JPEG image is produced based on the aspect ratio
- Detection Display Not Available
- Information (shooting) Battery information, Shooting mode, Shutter speed, Aperture value, Exposure compensation value, ISO sensitivity, Exposure compensation indicator, Exposure indicator, Flash intensity compensation indicator, Date, Auto BKT setting, NR setting, WB, WB compensation value, Record mode, Flash Status, Record mode, Image size, Drive mode, Flash intensity compensation value, Metering mode, Recordable still image number, Focusing mode, AF frame, Color space, Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation, Internal Temperature Warning Gradation, IS activating mode, Face detection, My Mode, Multi Exposure, Aspect Ratio, Super FP
- Information (shooting) Battery information, Shooting mode, Shutter speed, Aperture value, Exposure compensation value, ISO sensitivity, Exposure compensation indicator, Exposure indicator, Flash intensity compensation indicator, Date, Auto BKT setting, NR setting, WB, Record mode, Flash Status, Image size, Drive mode, Flash intensity compensation value, Metering mode, Recordable still image number, Focusing mode, AF frame, Internal Temperature Warning, IS activating mode, Face detection, My Mode, Multi Exposure, Aspect Ratio
- Setting Menu Color saturation, Color image, Brightness, Blur Background, Express Motion, Shooting Tips
- Playback mode Single-frame
- Information Display
- Index Display(4/9/25/100 frames, Calendar)
- Close-up (2 - 14X)
- Movie (w/sound, FF/REW/Pause)
- Picture rotation (manual), Slideshow(Still/Movie/Still+Movie, Slide show w/BGM/BGM+Sound/Sound)
- Information display Histogram (independent luminance / RGB available), Highlight / Shadow point warning, AF frame, Shooting information
- Languages Japan: Japanese, English Others: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Russian, Czech, Dutch, Danish, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Croat, Slovenian, Hungarian, Greek, Slovakian, Turkish, Latvian, Estonian, Lithuanian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Rumanian, Indonesian, Malay, Thai
- My mode 2 setting recordable
- Erasing function Single frame, All, Selected frames(from Index)
- Protect function Single frame, Selected frames, All Frames, Release protect (Single/All selected)
- RAW picture editing RAW development based on settings of the camera(including Art Filter)
- JPEG editing Shadow adjustment, Red-eye fix, Trimming, Aspect. Monotone, Sepia, Saturation (color depth), Resize (producing another file, 1280x960, 640x480, 320x240), e-portrait
- Up to 3 RAW images
- Print function Print reservation (DPOF), Direct print (PictBridge compatible)
- PC interface USB 2.0 High Speed for storage through Multi-connector(MTP mode is available)
- TV interface HDMI(HD/Mono or Stereo Sound), VIDEO-OUT(SD/Mono Sound)
- USB/Video connector Dedicated multi-connector (Video: NTSC/PAL selectable, Optional Remote cable RM-UC1, USB cable is available)
- HDMI Mini HDMI type-C(1080i/720p/576p/480p)
- Flash attachment Hot shoe
- DC-in: No
- Accessory attachment Accessory port (AP2) works with VF-2, SEMA-1, Macro Arm Light MAL-1 and Communication Unit Olympus PENPAL
- Battery BLS-5 Li-ion battery (included)
- Sleep mode Available (1, 3, 5, 10 min., off selectable)
- No. of recordable pictures
(with 50% flash light) Approx. 280 shots (CIPA test standard) (with BLS-5 and Toshiba Class 6 SDHC 4GB card under CIPA testing standard)
- Power battery holder Not Available
- Dimensions 115.4 mm (W) x 72.7mm (H) x 42.0mm (D) (excluding protrusions)
- Weight 317g (body only), 362g(including Battery and Memory card)
- Olympus E-PL2 PEN Camera
- Olympus ED m14-42mm f3.5/5.6 Zoom Lens
- Li-ion battery BLS-5
- Li-ion battery charger BCS-5
- USB/Video Multi cable
- Shoulder strap
- OLYMPUS Viewer 2/ib CD-ROM
- Instruction manual
- Warranty card